Priyanka Chopra is on an unbelievable roll. Achieving new milestones one after the other, she is adding a new dimension to her multi-faceted personality almost every day. Her steely determination coupled with terrific hard work, unwavering focus, relentless perseverance and an extraordinary will to excel in whatever she does has turned her into a national as well as an international icon with a huge fan-following which boasts of more than 10 million Twitter followers and more than 3 million on Instagram. She was named the”Most Influential Indian in the Social Media Circuit” by the digital advertising firm Pinstorm.
It was on 30th November 2000 that a young 18-year old Priyanka Chopra announced her arrival in the national as well as international glamour scene by conquering the ‘Miss World’ title with her beauty and brains. That was just the first of the innumerable feathers she was going to add to her alluring persona over the years. Sixteen years later, she has once again wowed the world with her amazing acting prowess and her incredible ability to fit into international television as well as any movie scenario effortlessly. She has not only made a distinctive name for herself, but also brought laurels to India as well.
AN ACTRESS PAR EXCELLENCE
Her unique career graph has no parallel anywhere in the world. The former Miss World started off as a model and soon went on to win the coveted beauty pageant title before taking the entertainment industry by storm. Her career as a Bollywood actress is studded with many unique roles where she bravely tackled several intriguing characters and proved her versatility with every film. Today, after thirteen years in the industry, she is not only our industry’s best actress, she can unequivocally be termed as Hindi Cinema’s first female ‘Superstar’ considering the number of box-office hits as well as the variety of roles she continues to tackle with aplomb.
Twice in her career- in 2005 and 2008, she had as many as six releases to her credit which is a record for any artiste in our industry. In 2009, she took on the challenge of playing twelve characters in the film ‘What’s Your Raashee?’ and till date holds the world record among both male and female actors for playing twelve roles in a film. In the film, when the hero is forced to marry within a short period of time by his family, he decides to meet a girl from every sign of zodiac or ‘raashee’ before taking the plunge and Priyanka plays the twelve girls bringing out the subtle differences in their persona beautifully.
Her bag of trophies includes awards under various categories ranging from Best Debut Award, Best Supporting Actress Award, Best Performance in a Negative Role,several Best Actress Awards, Entertainer of the Year Award, National Award for Best Actress and the latest crowning glory being the prestigious civilian award-Padma Shri, which was conferred on her recently.
Some of her other awards in India during her eventful professional journey include Most Searched Female Actor on Internet, GQ Woman of the Year, Most Impactful Debut on Television, Green Globe Award for Contribution to a Greener Earth, Indiepop Song of the Year, Woman of Substance, Videocon India Youth Icon Awards, India’s Style Icon, World’s Sexiest Asian Award, Style Diva of the Year, India’s Best Dressed, Ambassador of Beauty and Substance, Punjabi Icon,etc.
She is also a singer, television host, runs a production company, is a humanitarian associated with many charitable causes and has recently acquired popularity abroad with her role in the American TV serial Quantico in which she plays the lead role of FBI Agent Alex Parish. She has also bagged an important role in the Hollywood movie ‘Baywatch’ based on the popular television series of the same name.
Few are aware that the she started her acting career with a small role in singer Daler Mehndi’s music video titled ‘Satrangiya’. The video was a hit and she had taken her first steps towards her goal.
Sajan Mere Satrangiya – Ek Dana | Priyanka Chopra & Daler Mehndi | Daler Mehndi
In 2002, she decided to enter the world of films and chose a Tamil film ‘Thamizhan’ as her debut vehicle opposite Southern Superstar Vijay. The film was a big hit. Encouraged by her co-star Vijay, she even managed to record her first song for the film. So her acting and singing debut happened simultaneously.
Thamizhan│Ullathai Killathey Thee Vaithu Sellathey Song
It was in 2003 that she got her first break in Hindi films. The film titled ‘The Hero: Love Story of a Spy’, had her in a supporting role and she shared screen space with Sunny Seol, Preity Zinta and Amrish Puri. She followed this up with some stellar performances in negative roles in Andaaz and Aitraaz before getting roles as the main heroine.
Some of her not to be missed films include Aitraaz, Fashion, Dostana, Gunday, Dil Dhadakne Do, Mary Kom, What’s Your Raashee?, Kaminey, Don, Don 2, Barfi, Saat Khoon Maaf, Bajirao Mastani, Jai Gangajal, etc.
Her item number in Ram Leela:
A LOOK AT SOME OF HER UNIQUE HONOURS:
- Her first single, “In My City”, debuted on September 13, 2012, in a TV spot for NFL’s Thursday Night Football. This single – which also features American rapper Will.i.am – went triple platinum in India; winning her the Best International Debut award at the People’s Choice Awards.
- In December 2012, she received three nominations: Best Female Artist, Best Song and Best Video (for “In My City”) at the World Music Awards. She also received the Trailblazer Award from the South Asian Media, Marketing and Entertainment Association for becoming the first Bollywood actor to win a major record deal in the U.S.
- She released a second single in 2013, and a third in 2014: both of which had some chart success in multiple countries.
- She became the first South Asian actress to be honoured with the Best actress trophy at the People’s Choice Awards for her performance of an FBI recruit in American TV series “Quantico”, and beat TV heavyweights Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis, Lea Michele and Marcia Gay Harden to bag the prestigious award.
- She has also bagged a nomination in the best actress category at the 8th Annual Shorty Awards which highlight the best content across the social media landscape including Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, YouTube and Instagram. ‘The 33-year-old actress, who has a huge fan following across all social media platforms, will compete with big names like Amandla Stenberg, Cara Delevingne, Elizabeth Banks, Gabourey Sidibe, Kerry Washington, Maisie Williams, Olivia Wilde, Reese Witherspoon, Taraji P Henson, Uzo Aduba and Zendaya’, said The Hollywood Reporter. The awards will be presented at a ceremony to be held in April in New York.
- At the 88th Oscar awards held on February 29th, 2016, Priyanka Chopra was one of the 13 presenters and was asked to give the award to Margaret Sixel for Best Film Editing for “Mad Max: Fury Road”.
- At the People’s Choice Awards, she got the opportunity to present ‘Fast And Furious 7’ star, Vin Diesel with the Favourite Movie and Favourite Action Movie Awards.
- Priyanka Chopra shared the stage with actor Pedro Pascal to present the award for Outstanding Male Actor in a Drama Series at the 22nd annual Screen Actors Guild Awards held in January 2016.
World of animation
- In 2013, Priyanka was featured as the voice of Ishani in Disney’s “Planes”! Her other cartoon voice credit includes the voice of Ms. Marvel for the Avengers Academy video game (2016).
- Recently she took over the voice of the character ‘Kaa’ to dub in the Hindi version of one of India’s most loved animated series ‘The Jungle Book’. Her playful and sultry voice was apt to match Scarlett Jahansson’s sensual rendition of “Kaa’ in the English version.
- On January 15th, 2016, Priyanka Chopra’s production house, Purple Pebble Pictures (PPP) announced its foray into regional cinema, outlining details for three films one each in Bhojpuri, Marathi and Punjabi, and are expected to release in 2016 itself. The vision of her company is to create a platform for great stories to be told, irrespective of their genre and language, and also to provide a solid platform for new talent not just in acting but also across all other areas including direction, script-writing etc.
- Priyanka has turned co-producer for a mobi-series “It’s My City” for a video entertainment mobile app. It has been created by celebrity digital network Fluence and produced in association with her production company Purble Pebble Pictures India and Endemol-Shine India. The series which will also feature the actress herself in an important role, revolves around the everyday lives and struggles of four young girls – Manika, Sonali, Tina and Nikki – living together in the same flat in Mumbai. Mirroring the reality of everyday lives, the series captures the ups and downs of these girls as they set out to achieve their dreams.
- After taking the American Television scene by storm with her role in Quantico, she has been signed in a Hollywood film to play a negative character, Victoria Leeds, in ‘Baywatch’ – the film. She will be starring along with Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron, Alexandra Daddario and Ilfenesh Hadera. The film is slated to release in May, 2017.
- Starting in 2009, Priyanka began writing columns for such credible publications as The Hindustan Times, The Times of India, The Guardian, and even the New York Times!
- In 2010, she was appointed a UNICEF National Ambassador, with the responsibility of promoting issues relating to child rights and adolescence.
- She also supports many environmental charities, and is brand ambassador for NDTV’s Greenathon: an initiative to support eco-friendliness and improve electricity supplies to rural villages. She has also appeared for telethons and shows to raise money for such targeted causes as: to increase the understanding of leprosy, to help the victims of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake, and to help fund NGO Cancer Patients Aid Association. To promote the practice of organ donation, Priyanka publicly pledged her own organs after death.
Being the daughter of physicians in the Indian Army, she got the opportunity to live in various places thanks to her dad’s postings. Starting from Jamshedpur where she was born to staying in places like Delhi, Chandigarh, Ambala, Ladakh, Lucknow, Bareilly, and Pune and even a 3-year stint in USA where she lived with her aunt, she learnt to adjust and adapt easily in all these locations. It is this background which probably makes it easy for her to shuttle between continents and juggle her assignments.
At the moment she is basking in the glory of her role as ‘Kashibai’ in the super-hit ‘Bajirao Mastani’ for which she has already won several awards. In the role of SP Abha Mathur in the recently released Jai Gangajal, she has also done some superb action sequences.
MISS WORLD 2000 Crowning moment
Priyanka Chopra – In My City ft. will.i.am
Priyanka Chopra’s 2015 Quantico Official Trailer HD
Priyanka Chopra Unique Role
Looking at her life one cannot help but remember the following lines from the poem:
THE ROAD NOT TAKEN
By Robert Frost
…I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference…
Here’s wishing this wonderful actress all the very best in all her future endeavours…